Saturday 19 March 2016

Plugs and sockets



I have said many times that I don't really care what people do in private, though I might think that some of the practices are distasteful (buggery, for one). But I do care when these practices become institutionalised, particularly if it's at the expense of others. I am not a homophobe, because I do not have an irrational fear of homosexuals, just as I do not have an irrational fear of spiders.
But what upsets me is that my deeply-held belief that marriage is a union of one man and one woman is now operationally illegal. If someone in public office declines to issue a marriage certificate to two  lesbians, he or she is in breach of the law: there is no room for conscientious objection. A Catholic doctor can excuse himself from performing an abortion, so where's the difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment