Monday 9 November 2015

Minefield


What bothers me about officially-sanctioned same-sex marriage is not that homosexuals (who seem to be among the last people in the western world who believe in marriage, the rest of us living in sin) should or should not marry, but that once it is legal, it then becomes illegal for me to believe that marriage ought to be between one man and one woman. In a queer way, the traditional intolerance of homosexuality has been replaced by an intolerance of anyone who has a different view. For what it's worth, I think these officials who in all conscience cannot preside over a gay marriage should have their views respected, just as a doctor may be excused from performing an operation such as an abortion which is in conflict with his deeply-held convictions.
I know that writing this opens me to flaming as a raging homophobe, but would simply confirm my point that intolerance is found at all points in the spectrum these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment